Saturday, July 12, 2014

From Paris with Love

After a quick train ride we arrived in Paris! Then using our master skills we located the metro and the nearest stop to our B&B- My Open Paris. After a quick change we headed to the Sacred Heart Basilica. This is where I first noticed a major change in Paris compared to our visit two years before. It was not only packed, but the amount of street  vendors was insane! Like no thank you I actually don't want to buy 4 Eiffel Tour key chains for one euro... So besides being bombarded by vendors it was a beautiful day atop the hill with a spectacular view of the city!

 After enjoying the Basilica, we wanted to track down La Cure Gormande. We had no idea where it was except for the faint memory of going to it two years ago...aka not so promising. After going down what felt like every street in that district I spotted a woman carrying a bag from the store- Score! So I went up to her and quickly realized she was not American, for some odd reason I panicked and started speaking in broken Italian- yes Italian. For those that don't know me I took Latin in High School and I am currently in Spanish- So where did the sudden spurt of Italian come from? You can thank Rick Steve's Italian Pocket Book for that one. It went something like this " Scusi, dov'e La Cure Gourmande?" I even managed a Grazie at the end. All I can say is my Spanish teacher will be thrilled when I start incorporating Italian into my homework... So with my new found confidence in my Italian speaking capabilities I enjoyed the variety of cookies we purchased!

With our cookies in tow we thought we would try our luck at the Eiffel Tower. Well the line was huge, shocker, but we thought why not? Half way through they met capacity so we would only be allowed entrance to the first level. In my opinion the view doesn't seem to change much with the extra elevator ride! So we ventured on up and took in the breathtaking views! Then we decided to head down to witness the twinkling lights but the catch was we only had 7 minutes to get down 100's of stairs. Leave it to us to get down just with enough time to see the wonderful twinkling lights!








By now it was 11 pm- Dinner time! Yes you heard right we had dinner at 11 PM and it was actually hard to get a table! I swear the later you eat dinner the better everything tastes, or maybe that's just the result of being so distracted you forget your starving. And I think I can vouch for most tourists that trek through Europe, that more times then none beer seems to go down like water when your non stop sightseeing. So we enjoyed our beer and pizza and ended a perfect first day in Paris!
My Open Paris- B&B
La Cure Gourmande



No comments:

Post a Comment